Visitors to this blog

Visitors and Readers

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

South Pacific - ( 1958 ) - 5 stars out of 5 stars

My sister used to take me to the movies when I was little and she took me to this one.I hadn't seen it again until a few days ago.This is the original film version released in 1958 and running 157 minutes.My sister was a incurable romantic and loved the movies about the south seas.This is the best of the musicals about that region.Its also a tragic war movie and a warning about hate that I guess we never headed.The war was tragic,but this movie is a romantic love story first and foremost. Comedy is also a mainstay of a good musical and there's a fair amount of that as well.Grade A+ talent of the time star led by Mitzi Gaynor,Rossano Brazzi,a young  Ray Walston and France Nuyen  and so many more.The music I actually sang in HS chorus,one of Oscar Hammerstein II and Richard Rodgers finest scores.I was misty eyed after viewing it again.Trailer URL follows the pix and a IMDB summary below.A "bucket list"movie for film fans.

 Can a girl from Little Rock find happiness with a mature French planter she got to know one enchanted evening away from the military hospital where she is a nurse? Or should she just wash that man out of her hair? Bloody Mary is the philosopher of the island and it's hard to believe she could be the mother of Liat who has captured the heart of Lt. Joseph Cable USMC. While waiting for action in the war in the South Pacific, sailors and nurses put on a musical comedy show. The war gets closer and the saga of Nellie Forbush and Emile de Becque becomes serious drama. Written by Dale O'Connor <daleoc@interaccess.com>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVOCAWyOeVM

No comments:

Post a Comment