Visitors to this blog

Visitors and Readers

Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Jerk - 4 stars out of 5 stars

There is only a handful of comedies I like better than this 1979 release that runs a just right 104 minutes.Steve Martin IS a JERK as a comic persona so to play one in his first starring role is genius."I started out as a poor black child""Stay away from the cans"and his father teaching him the difference between shit and shinola are classic !!Bernadette Peters rounds out a good supporting cast.My only issue is the humor at the expense on mentally challenged my be offensive today but for then it works and his invention on the glasses that cause you to go cross-eyed is well…………The "n"word and silly face licking just heighten what laid the ground work for Forrest Gump. It's not like any other film he's made since.See it for history sake.Trailer URL follows the pix.Opening dialog is below.

Huh? I am *not* a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends, and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qut3v1KlSs

No comments:

Post a Comment