Visitors to this blog

Visitors and Readers

Friday, June 29, 2012

Jesus Christ Superstar ( 1973 ) - 3 stars out of 5 stars

A movie from a different time for sure.Doubtful it would be made today as it screams 60's.
There are a few versions of this out,but this is the one based on the hit broadway play.True enough to the bible this film should not offend true christians other than the fact a actor does portray Christ.My issue with the film is a unevenness I couldn't get by.While I understand the idea of young people getting off a bus in the desert and then re-creating the last few days of Christ's life only to get back on the bus later without him,I couldn't get that most of the film is that stark re creation out of really nothing,YET real military tanks do appear at one point in the film.Also there are 2 standard song numbers that are classics to this day,Jesus Christ Superstar,and I Don't Know How to Love Him,are outstanding yet the rest of the song numbers are average at best.I guess putting song to scripture can be daunting.Thats why I can only give 3 stars to the film.I would recommend you see the play and the film only if you can't.Released in 1973 the film runs 108 minutes and the dancing and acting is fine.My only issue was the aforementioned unevenness and songs.
Side note.Yvonne Elliman plays Mary Magdalene and sings that great version of "I don't know how to love him",and a few years later her disco sexy version of"if I can't have you"to a stripper scene in Saturday Night fever shows a hellava contrast. Trailer URL follows the pix.Thats real talent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfTqTsKz5RA

No comments:

Post a Comment