Visitors to this blog

Visitors and Readers

Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Karate Kid - 4 1/2 Stars out of 5 stars

As a rule remakes fall short of the originals.It's just a fact that if it was good before,how can you improve on it?Well in TV series,I was proved wrong with Battlestar Gallactica,now, I found "The Karate Kid"Adding China locations and support actors and the GREAT Jackie Chan,I've found my first movie.Released in 2010 and running a little long at 140 minutes,I took off 1/2 star only because the acting OTHER than Jackie Chan as Mr. Han,the teacher of Jaden Smith as Dre Parker is only OK.Young Smith is fit and cute,but,acting takes more than he's shown so far. Still the story is updated to China itself as Dre Parker and his single mom ,Taraji P. Henson as Sherry Parker,moves to Beijing because of her job. There we fall into the familiar story of boy meets girl,Wenwen Han as Meiying  and  Zhenwei Wang as the punk bully Cheng .Wang by the way looks to have a big future in Martial arts films down the road.
Only the presence of a real Master like Chan holds the film together.His humor is on display as always but adding true martial arts to the  package is what makes it a worthy remake along with a great scene at a mountain top training facility that Han brings Parker to as part of his training.I don't wish to compare the two films since I own nether,but the stories are basically the same except for what I have already mentioned in China location vs California in the US.The difference in Chan vs Pat Morita as Mr. Kesuke Miyagi is unfair to compare.They play to a different place and skill but are effective in each movie.I would give a slight edge to Ralph Macchio as Daniel Larusso only because at that stage he shown to be a better actor.Other than that it is like comparing Babe Ruth to Albert Pujols for you baseball fans to see the absurdity  of the comparisons of different eras.The URL for the trailer follows the pix Oh and if I own nether film why do I recommend this one?Because its better than the original and that's reason enough.
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1258882073/

No comments:

Post a Comment