Visitors to this blog

Visitors and Readers

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Anna Karenina (2012) - 3 1/2 stars out of 5 stars

Still to review one more version of the adaptation of the Classic Tolstoy novel after this.I fear one must first read the novel from Tolstoy ,who may have a unique writing style I have yet to grasp.While this version is more complex than the 1935 version it is also almost comically unwatchable in the beginning as Imperial Russian society is jabbed at in a almost "Monty Python" way and I don't know if that was Tolstoy's or this directors intent.Ether way it was unsettling to say the lest,that's why I still took 1 and 1/2 stars off, and all for that reason,on this 2012 version that runs a bit long at 129 minutes.
I also was not thrilled at the casting at all except for  Jude Law as Alexi Karenin,the victimized husband of Anna who is played by Keira Knightley.
There are also a few subtle differences so again its hard to tell which of these versions are truer to the novel.I did however enjoy a richer,if at times silly,story and so despite not as well a cast,I would recommend this over the 1935 version and hope the 1967 Russian version I have yet to see is even better.I may have to read that book yet !!!!.Trailer  URL follows the picture and a IMDB summarynis below.

Set in late-19th-century Russia high-society, the aristocrat Anna Karenina enters into a life-changing affair with the affluent Count Vronsky.
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3054544665/

No comments:

Post a Comment