Visitors to this blog

Visitors and Readers

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Hunger Games - 3 stars out of 5 stars

Well I stated when I reviewed the Japanese film"Battle Royale"the reason I saw it was because they said this film was a sort of american copy.In a way they are right.Taking into effect cultural differences between Japan and the US there is no doubt both films were looking at the same issues but they just saw them in their own frame of reference.I gave this film 3 stars vs Battle's 3 and 1/2  because I felt this film was too stylish and tried to cover the real issue with a gladiator/roman type spin rather than sticking to the real issue of control over the young "students"to prevent revolt as the Japanese did.That said this film was VERY stylish and well made with a superb cast.Many would find "Battle Royale"much to violent and could handle this film easier.Its a matter of taste.I prefer Battle,but still recommend this.Also Battle had a sequel,this film ends begging for one which I understand will be sometime this year.I haven't seen Battle's sequel nor do I plan to see this one.
So to judge this 2012 release that runs 142 minutes,it has action,love and a suppressed society hooked to reality type TV shows that are modern gladiator games to keep the population entertained by the state for the last 74 years after a rebellion and also giving them false hope of a future.Thus I took 2 stars off for being kinda silly for a real stretch on the plot line.That said the acting holds it together and makes it worth the watch.Trailer URL follows the picture and a IMDB summary below.

Katniss Everdeen voluntarily takes her younger sister's place in the Hunger Games, a televised fight to the death in which two teenagers from each of the twelve Districts of Panem are chosen at random to compete.
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3358368281/

No comments:

Post a Comment