Visitors to this blog

Visitors and Readers

Monday, March 11, 2013

Duplex - 4 stars out of 5 stars

Danny DeVito directed BUT did not appear in this funny "black"comedy that are dirty pleasures of mine.Ben Stiller,who can be funny with the right material, and Drew Barrymore,who I have yet to see in a film I didn't like with her in it,star as a married yuppie type urban power couple forced to move to Brooklyn to "make it"in the big city.
Now I grew up in Brooklyn so I liked the premise very much.Now for the punch line,life is complicated by the fact that the brownstone they bought is a "duplex"which means 2 floors and its a "rent control"property with a tenant.That simply means you have to keep that tenant till they wish to leave and the rent is stabilized till that time.I grew up in a rent control apartment and believe me it rents now for more than 20 times what my parents paid till they left maybe 40 years ago.Thats a increase if you space it out of 50 percent more or less EACH year from then.But I digress………
The rent controlled tenant is a old lady of maybe 90 or so years old played by Eileen Essell,a real pleasant surprise,and then the fun begins.Must see for anyone who has ever lived in the city and had "bad"thoughts about tenants or even landlords not to mention self absorbed young folks.I loved it.Released in 2004 and running 89 minutes,I only took 1 star off because the ending,while a nice twist, should have been better done.Trailer URL follows the picture.
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3840843289/

No comments:

Post a Comment