Visitors to this blog

Visitors and Readers

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Dinner for Schmucks - 3 1/2 stars out of 5 stars

The French have a much different sense of humor then we do or perhaps when we cast a copy of their films we use the wrong comics.growing up I saw "Trois hommes et un coffin" (Three Men and a Cradle)or the english remake"3 men and a baby"Le Grand Blond avec une chaussure noire,(The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe)or the english remake"The Man with One Red Shoe."Now comes the  remake(?)or American adaptation of the French film Le Dîner de Cons ("Dinner for Cretins").
Now I haven't seen many French films since my youth because I hate reading subtitles but comedies do sometimes translate depending on the KIND of humor.Of these 3 French comedies I only saw  "Le Grand Blond avec une chaussure noire,(The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe)and it was dubbed,however I've now seen all 3 remakes,It was FAR better than the english remake.So I haven't seen the French version of this film but I fear it also was better.However lets not forget the French TEACH Jerry Lewis techniques in their film school. This film is rather interesting but I don't think Steve Carell was right for this part.Anyway his character is odd in that he makes little stages of famous historical scenes using embalmed mice.YES !!!Paul Rudd who I also thought was not right for the part,plays a upwardly mobil wall street type who is in love with wonderful French born actress,THE BEST PART OF THE FILM,Stephanie Szostak .Now Rudd's company hosts a dinner for idiots that the executives invite,and the best idiot gets a trophy and the executive gets browny points.Of course Rudd thinks of Carell.Now if you want inspired casting try Larry the Cable guy and Giovanni Ribisi.I took  1 and 1/2 stars off because of the casting but I liked the films inspired idea.Recommend only 1 viewing however.Trailer follows pix.
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3797747481/

No comments:

Post a Comment