Visitors to this blog

Visitors and Readers

Monday, April 8, 2013

Across the Wide Missouri - 3 1/2 stars out of 5 stars


Released in 1951 and running but 78 minutes,its a hard film to review because of my personnel attachment that I'll briefly explain latter.
To the film.
Few westerns are made about the trappers in the west.We usually think of them only in terms of the revolutionary period of county  in the colonies and French Canadian territories.This shows a little of the "mountain men"who were no more than trappers but went west before most others did.The cast is mostly "A" list for the time but not really western stars so maybe thats a issue ?? Also the cuts between outdoor scenes and lot shoots are not as well done as in other films.Plus the "indians"are not native american actors.In fact,the actor who made"Charlie Chan"famous,plays a indian in this film.J. Carrol Naish,born in NYC.So maybe thats why I had to take 1 and 1/2 stars off.
On the plus side is a young Ricardo Montalban,who was born in Mexico City MEX.,plays a indian war chief and in her first of only 2 US film productions is another who was born in Mexico City MEX.,playing the indian princess,María Elena Marqués. She is the personnel reason for me.
On my honeymoon I was amazed to learn my then newlywed wife's family knew this famed actress and star of mexican cinema.I,with my wife,was invited to breakfast at her apartment in Mexico city where SHE cooked for my wife and I.True!!!
Only actress I have ever met one on one in my entire life and just that one time,but she had a elegance and nobility that is stifled by this film.It was truly the highlight of my honeymoon.
Trailer URL follows the picture and a IMDB summary is below.

In the 1830's beaver trapper Flint Mitchell and other white men hunt and trap in the then unnamed territories of Montana and Idaho. Flint marries a Blackfoot woman as a way to gain entrance into her people's rich lands, but finds she means more to him than a ticket to good beaver habitat. Written by Ron Kerrigan <mvg@whidbey.com>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvAlJxSYUPs

No comments:

Post a Comment